Sunday, January 24, 2010

The wishing well.

If a penny saved is a penny earned
I guess that’s great for me
But what’s a coin tossed down a wishing well
Or a wish for something free
All I have are these loincloths

Fit for no more than a flea
So i may as well be wishing
While Im broke as broke can be


Let me tell you something that I have learned Spitz
Concerning young men and discerning
First kisses, endless riches, bluer heavens, warmer veil
Do these things ring a bell?
Tell me were these the wishes you cast down the wishing well
‘Well , sher, what gives.’
You think it no ill offense?
Have you done this much since?
‘Yes, I do it quite a bit.’
Do you have little holes in your pockets
Or just no common sense
I don’t care if its six-pence
Or a 100 dollars and forty cents
No man can afford, to go throwing wishes down a well.
It’s those thoughts you gain a penny for, to which we must avail.
I do say,
You’d be a dime a dozen, these days, simply not to sell- all your money for
two bales of hay- and hope they lay an egg.

Now spitz, carry on your merry way
Take this pail and fetch some water
And don’t forget the things I say.

And it’s not that I forgot
I just thought I’d not remember it instead
I kissed a penny and I said
'With you, I’ll wish me well’
And as that penny fell
I realized it was my last
And instead of wishing for a magic carpet
Or to find the Holy Grail
I wished I hadn’t dropped it
Down that wishing well

No comments:

Post a Comment